Feng Shui: Bedroom Design Dos & Don’ts
Your bedroom is one of the most important rooms in the home because it is the place where you can lie down and relax after a hard day of work.
It is where you can get the restorative sleep, essential for health and personal balance. It is also a special place for romance and love with your partner.
A calm yin environment with minimum electrical equipment is what you want to create in a bedroom. A comfortable, supportive and well-positioned bed, restful colors, soft flowing fabrics are essentials to create a restful sleep environment.
Clutter has no place in this room. Furniture also needs to be kept to the minimum to encourage the Chi energy to mingle around the room and create a peaceful feel.
Here are my suggestions:
Position the bed diagonally opposite the door so you can see people coming in and be in control of your bedroom space.
- Display an inspiring picture opposite the bed to wake up happy every morning.
- Ensure you have a solid headboard. A headboard gives you support while you are sleeping. Choose a bed with a comfortable natural mattress and wooden frame to support your health.
- Place bedside tables and lamps on either side of the bed to create balance and harmony.
- Check your closet and check for clothes and items that haven’t been worn for more than a year. Those may be in the way of letting new opportunities come into your life.
- Paint your bedroom in pastel colors to encourage a restful mood.
- Use powder blues, greens and lavenders to calm the body and induce a feeling of serenity. Use peach, pink or red colors on the walls, bedspread or pillows to inject passion in the bedroom.
- Introduce a soft yin lighting, using rounded shades and dimmers. This creates a soft and soothing ambiance that enhances the feeling of calm.
- Install window treatment that will give you privacy, protect you at night and let in beautiful natural light during the day.
- Have too many books in the bedroom. This is overwhelming in a space dedicated for rest.
- Have clutter under the bed. It prevents the Chi to circulate. This can disturb your love life.
- Position a mirror opposite the bed or have mirror closet doors because they are too energetic and will disturb your sleep. Cover them at night with some drapes if they are already fitted.
- Have a television in your bedroom. It creates an unhealthy magnetic field if left on standby. It may disturb sleep, strain your relationship or it may bring a third party into the relationship.
- Sleep under a beam. Ensure you cover the beam with fabric, hang two bamboo flutes with the mouthpiece at the bottom or move the bed. A beam creates a feeling of pressure and disturbs a night of restful sleep.
- Have water features, aquariums or paintings of water in the bedroom as water is believed to indicate the probability of robbery or financial loss.
- Have plants and flowers in the bedroom as they produce excessive yang energy.