Good Health Is Essential to Success
Good Health Is Essential to Success in Business
In principle, business means providing a solution to a need. A sharp mind creates the opportunity, and a strong body takes it. Rarely does entrepreneurship leave space for the weak and slow – it’s just the nature of market competition!
Whether you’re a taxi driver or a cut-throat mining tycoon, your health impacts your business success. Although “success” is hard to define, it usually has to do with adding 0’s to your bank account. In any case, it’s all about wise, timely decisions, followed by execution and constant evaluation. That’s a long way to spell movement, and movement needs energy. So, the more mental and physical energy you have, the better. Fortunately, practicing a few things a day for your health can increase your energy levels and mental acuity.
Physical health directly affects the mind; there’s no other way around it. Just think about how blood flow affects the brain or how digestion weighs on the thought process. Everything is connected in our bodies. Some may even say that you’re as strong as your weakest link. In any case, taking care of individual health aspects will favor harmony and efficiency. Maybe the most practical way to work towards improvement is by starting with your weak points. That’s if you already know the issues; otherwise, you’ll have first to identify them.
Good blood ages like red wine
Many factors are influencing the brain, some of which are still mostly unknown. Anyhow, these complex biological pathways and substances have one thing in common: blood. The primary energy supply for the brain comes through the bloodstream. And, by extension, the whole cardiovascular system.
A strong heart and healthy veins can send the oxygen-rich blood upstream. The lifeline doesn’t carry just oxygen, but nutrients, hormones, vitamins, and minerals. These substances are gathered from virtually all organs and depend on different aspects of our lifestyles. For example, nutrient and vitamin aspects have to do with our food and eating habits. Also, hormones and minerals are influenced by daily activity and water intake.
Put the whole lot together, and one’s cardiovascular health status has a big say in the grand scheme of things. Everything from your mental alertness, mood, and even memory depends on blood quality. So, how to enhance the quality of your cardiovascular system? Well, apart from keeping hydrated and eating clean, physical activity and sufficient sleep are equally important. Check with your physician first, but generally, you should:
- Drink sufficient water throughout the day. The simple “rule of 8 by 8” helps us remember to drink eight cups of water eight times a day, which means roughly two liters or 64 ounces.
- Eat a diet free of GMOs, antibiotics, and pesticides. A healthy diet includes vegetables, fruit, legumes, nuts, and whole grains. Avoid saturated fats, trans-fats, and simple sugars. Also, keep salt and sodium at a minimum and high potassium levels. Focus more on plant-based meals and keep processed food at a minimum.
- Exercise daily to keep your metabolism going and your endorphins flowing. The American Heart Association recommends around half an hour of exercise almost daily. A good workout will boost your confidence and keep your mind fresh.
- Sleep is paramount for a healthy lifestyle; you shouldn’t go under seven hours a day.
A healthy mind in a healthy body
It’s vital to remember that the psychological component is just as important as the physical one. For instance, a calm mindset is usually better when making business decisions. Likewise, emotional stability might prove particularly important when negotiating.
There’s no one-size-fits-all solution when referring to mental health. As always, talk with your medical practitioner beforehand. Nonetheless, everybody should strive for a better mental state. Aim to figure out your weak points and go from there. Generally, if you’re anxious, try to relax, and vice-versa.
- Meditation should provide some mental relaxation throughout the day. Start with something basic and gather your thoughts when taking a break from work. Make yourself comfortable, close your eyes, and focus on your breathing for a couple of minutes.
- Breathing exercises are also useful for lowering stress. An easy technique is the “4-second rule.” Meaning, inhale for four seconds, hold for four seconds, exhale for four seconds, hold, and repeat as needed.
- Regular check-ups with friends and family might provide some valuable input on your overall state of mind and behavior. Write your feelings down and try to improve.
- Reduce smoking, alcohol, and other vices. Don’t exclude psychological therapy as it helps against bad habits.
Success in business means both brains and brawns. A healthy individual is strong physically and mentally because of his awareness. Some business principles seem to apply to everyday life: we’re still talking about observation, decisions, and evaluation. Nutrition, sleep, and exercise are paramount for a healthy body while equally caring for mental health.
NEW FINE MART